The “butter board” is the new, viral recipe trend you’ve seen popping up on your social media feeds. A twist on the classic charcuterie board, it has taken the food world by storm. If you haven’t come across this culinary creation yet, you may be wondering, “What is a butter board?” A butter board is simply deconstructed compound butter, better defined as plain butter with anything added to it. It’s a French technique that has been around for centuries.
People get really creative with their butter boards; adding toppings, dipping sauces, breads, crackers and more, they are able to create a shareable dish for any occasion. It also provides a great visual effect. A butter board gives any host or hostess a stunning way to display the bread-and-butter course of their meal.
As the makers of the one-and-only Butter Braid® Pastry, we were so excited to see find out about this trend. After all, who knows butter better than we do? So, we decided to do our own spin on the viral recipe.
Presenting…the Garlic Herb Butter Board!
Garlic herb butter is a flavorful way to elevate any bread or vegetable dish. With just a few ingredients, you can easily make a butter board full of fresh flavors and vibrant colors, so you’ll please your guests’ eyes as well as their palettes. Serve with our premium Four Cheese and Herb Braided Pastry and chunky marinara sauce for a savory, easy-to-prepare appetizer your guests will ask for again and again.
- 1 Four Cheese & Herb Butter Braid® Pastry
- 4 sticks butter, room temperature (may vary depending on the size of your board)
- Roasted garlic
- Garlic & herb seasoning
- Olive oil (optional)
- Diced cherry tomatoes
- Pitted Greek Kalamata olives
- ½ c. shredded Parmesan cheese
- Sesame breadsticks
- Prepare the Four Cheese and Herb Braided Pastry ahead of time by following the directions on the package. While the pastry is baking, prepare the butter board.
- Spread the softened butter on a cutting board. Use a butter knife to swirl the butter. Feel free to get creative and make a pattern or festive shape!
- Now, time to add the toppings. Start by layering the herbs. If you are using dried herbs, drizzle some olive oil on top to hydrate them. Consider using some larger, fresh herbs to give the board more texture and color. Sprinkle on the roasted garlic, olives, diced tomatoes and Parmesan cheese.
- Top it off by adding a dish of warm marinara sauce, slices of Four Cheese and Herb pastry, and sesame breadsticks.
- Serve and enjoy your Garlic Herb Butter Board!
- Softened butter is extremely important for the perfect spread.
- Use an icing spreader or any type of wide, flat spreader to create smooth waves of butter on your board.
- Get creative! Add whatever toppings you and your family enjoy; the options are endless!
- Keep in mind, the oil from the butter can soak into marble or wood, changing the finish long term.